Why shoot a video about jumping rope?
- To share one of my favorite workouts in the hopes that it you will give it a try.
- To let people know that jumping rope is one of the best cardio activities known to mankind, and Rocky Balboa.
- To show people that if I can learn to rope, then you can too. It took me a little while of practicing (ie weeks), but then it 'clicked.' when I took my jump rope on a trip with me and it served as my main form of cardio.
- I was having a 'Good-Hair-Day' and therefore had to make a video.
- If you are new to roping, expect to hate it at first.
- You will trip up about 380 times in your first attempts and that is totally normal, if not encouraged.
- Use a rope that is appropriate for your height: Step on the middle of the rope and the handles should come to somewhere between your arm pits and your shoulders- feel what is most comfortable for you.
- Do not jump high in the air. This is a common mistake that people make at first. Your feet should just barely hop off the ground.
- Most of the motion will come from the wrists-avoid flailing arms and elbows.
- Once you get the basic move, you'll find that it's actually EASIER to mix up your moves: scissors & jumping jacks keep things different.
- Some advanced moves: Butt-kicks, side-to-side jumping, high knees are harder and you'll get winded faster.
- Practice, practice, practice...then....
- All of a sudden it will 'click' for you too. Then you'll be hooked.
Q: Have you tried roping since you were a kid? If you are a seasoned roper, how long did it take for you to get the hang of it?