RSS

Smoothie Saturday/Sunday:The Papaya Coconut Smoothie


Fun Blogger Fact: Did you know that if you type in the title of your post, then hit "enter", your entire post gets published without any content? Yup, that would explain the fact that many of you got a blank post sent to your inbox. I could insert that photo of myself screaming again, but I'll just shrug it off and get busy giving you a post that actually contains words and photos.

The Papaya Coconut Smoothie:


Yes, it's December and it's cold, rainy and snowy out where many people live. But I would hazard a guess that in Hawaii, it is just lovely. With the holidays approaching, I have had a few "Calgon Take Me Away" moments recently, and I can't think of a better place to escape than a tropical island, right Averie?

If you have never heard "Calgon Take Me Away", here is a historical review. It's got nothing to do with my smoothie, but quite interesting nonetheless. There are three short videos that you can view to witness the evolution of Calgon:
  1. 1960's version- very British, very glam, very ritzy, very sexy. Apparently bathing is hot hot hot. And I don't mean Farenheit.
  2. 1970's version- kids laughing while jumping up and down during a pillow shredding incident apparently sends this lady to her tub.
  3. 1980's version- is it me, or does this woman display some anger issues? Personally, I think that she is about to 'go postal' (please don't make me explain that one too). Amazing that the bath seems to work for her because I was going to suggest some Ativan.

Ok now that we are clear on Calgon, I will get back to the Smoothie du Jour. I happened to get a couple of papayas at the Co-Op for a reduced price, so they just begged to be eaten. They are sooo juicy and yummy, and apparently have a lot of fiber in them.




Here are the ingredients:
  • Water or Coconut Water (it's naturally sweet and does have ~60 calories per container)
  • Ice to desired thickness/frosty-ness
  • 1 scoop Protein powder
  • Coconut extract
  • Papaya- ideally cubed and frozen
  • Small sprinkle of Xanthan Gum, if desired to thicken
  • Sprinkle of Guar Gum, if desired for creaminess
  • Optional Torani or DaVinci syrup: I used Macadamia nut (contains Splenda)
  • Stevia if desired for added sweetness
  • Shaved coconut (for topping)
  • Coconut butter (for your spoon)
  • Chopped nuts as a topping: I used Beek's Sweet Cumin Almonds- yum yum.



Blend up and pretend that you are on a tropical beach. Now get to your Holiday Shopping or just take a bath!

Q: If you could transport yourself anywhere in a Calgon-take-me-away moment, where would it be (other than the tub)?

PS. Sorry Janetha B for deleting the old defunct post with your funny comments- I figured I better just repost the darn thing :-/ Gaaahhhh Blogger- it's like staying in an abusive relationship!!

19 comments:

Janetha said...

hahahah. i'm funny! glad you messaged me to tell me you filled the post in since it is already marked off in my reader. now for REALS this time~this DOES look good! i had never eaten papaya until a thai cooking class in june and we made papaya salad~so good. and coconut adds the best flavor+texture to anything and everything.

ha! those bath beadscommercials rule. i have never heard of calgon. lucky for me you posted a smoothie way to take me away because i dont have a bathtub but i DO have a vitamix :)

xoxo

:P love you

VeggieGirl said...

Now THAT'S a stellar smoothie - holy yum.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

YUM! I love anything coconut in the winter. For some reason it makes me feel warmer :)

homecookedem said...

That first picture is gorgeous! My Calgon-take-me-away moment would be on a warm beach, light breeze blowing on my skin, the smell of my coconut smoothie (of course!!), being lulled in a hammock... ahhhhhhhhhh :)

Jessica said...

That smoothie looks amazing!! I see you use Dessert protein powder? That is my absolute FAVORITE! I've been drinking it for 3 years. I am really excited to see someone else drinking it in blogworld, even though it isn't 'natural.' I love that stuff. Have you ever made protein cakes with it? You can microwave it and make a mini cake with water. It got me thru competition training! My favorite flavor is chocolate coconut...is that what you used here?

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) said...

Thanks for the shout out!
And I just read JEssica's comment bout the Dessert PP. I have seen that in mags before but never purchased. It's probably whey but they sure make it look good. But that smoothie...NICE WORK! Even if it has 69878 ingredients in it, it would still be worth it.

I havent drank in nearly 4 yrs due to pg, nursing, small child that I cant be hungover for...and have been toying with the idea of a pina colada. I know, big stuff :) But this smoothie will be my at-home go-to if nothing else. And maybe you can make it for me in CA in about 3-4 mos shall we say??! :)

tam said...

That smoothie sounds and looks delish! I recently invested in the smoothie to go blender and boy oh boy do I love it x x

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

Jessica- I like the consistency and flavah of the Dessert. I wish it could magically make me fitness competition ready, but I'd have to have my mouth wired shut and drink it through a straw for that to happen :-/ It's just straight up vanilla, but I'll keep an eye out for other flavors!

Averie- You don't need to add 458583 ingredients to it- really prot powder, papaya & a liquid is the bare minimum. Top with coconut or Coconut butter and you're goood to go. Enjoy your cocktail- with or without the booze!

Brittany said...

All your smoothies amaze me. This may be a silly question - but are the gums considered "raw"?

Paula said...

You had me with coconut! Hey Deb- I was wanting to ask if you have a favorite protein powder? I am still needing to get some gums. I have been working out a lot lately. I am wanting to make more smoothies and thought you would be the gal to inform on some good powders. I hope to stay away from artificial sweeteners.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

Brittany- that is a great question! I have no idea! From my skimming, I seem to remember one article saying something about a 'fermentation process'?? If you are raw and concerned, I would do some googling.

Paula. Congrats on the increased workouts! But Oh dear... You are talking to a bit of a protein powder hussy. I get whatever is on sale or floats my boat at the moment. Most of mine contain artificial sweeteners. I hear that Jay Robb is all natural and I have had a few samples that I did like a lot. My suggestion: go to a body-building nutrition store and scour the shelves- read the labels.

Tam- glad you finally got your smoothie making groove on!

Allie (Protein Girl) said...

I'll let you know how Hawaii is when I'm sipping this fab shake in Maui in Feb...

The close up photo looks straight out of "Williams-Sonoma Does Smoothies." Awesome.

And what that lady has to be stressed about when she has a bathtub the size of Honolulu is beyond me!

Susan said...

DEB!!! I finally broke and bought xanthan and guar gum yesterday!!! One was super cheap, the other was pretty pricey - so it evens out, right? ;) I can't wait to get started on giant smoothies and drink them out of my giant Starbucks cup.

Aaaanyways, I love adding frozen papaya chunks to smoothies. They add a wonderful texture. And those almonds are crack.

Shannon (The Daily Balance) said...

this looks to.die.for.

thanks for sharing!

~new to your blog and LOVE IT!

Veggiesmack said...

Wow, that smoothie looks good! Love anything with coconut!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Yum, yum, yum. Deb, I've been meaning to ask you...maybe you've told me already, but what is your all time favorite protein powder? Between you and Allie, I bet you've tried them all!

Those Calgon commercials are hilarious. I would like to be transported to the yurt on a warm summer day. Ahhh, sounds heavenly. :)

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

Heab: My absolute fave Choc powder is called Skinny Mini full of fake sugars and proprietary gunk:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=NT-7169

My fave vanilla is a rather expensive one that I haven't bought for years: I'm sure it's full or non-natural stuff too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GOY6Z0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GOW57Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ZQWC5RJBHQY7266WV52

Bekah said...

Hehe Ooooh I am so happy you're enjoying the almonds. The close up picture had me grinnning.

And like Susan, I bought guar and xantham. The guar gum I bought looks like yours, but I didn't know they were in capsule forms? Haha, so everytime I make a smoothie, I'm breaking the capsule, but OMG, it makes all the difference. I've either ended up with a really flufffy HUGE smoothie, or a really icy, creamy thick proteiney dessert. I'm in protein smoothie heaven.

Love this tropical post! If I could transport anywhere- Greece, Italy or Jamaica. Only been to Jamaica out of the three.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

Beeks- HUH!!???? Capsules????? OMG that would have rocked my world when I used to be surgically attached to my blender on trips. THe kind I buy is in powdered form in packages. But I'm a sucker for single serving anything and surely it's less messy. (Try spilling some gums on the countertop: messssssy and slimy!) Thanks for the tip- I learn something new every day!!

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Copyright 2009 SmoothieGirlEatsToo All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes