RSS

Smoothie Saturday/Sunday- Kettle Corn Smoothie

OK first things first. I credit and dedicate this smoothie to the fabulous Allie over at Pimp My Protein Shake and Random Teaspoon. While e-chatting about the accolades of imitation butter flavoring (yes, it does exist- I know I know hard to believe!), she suggested that I create a Kettle Corn smoothie.

It was a total Homer Simpson/slap the forehead with palm/DOH! moment for me because I eat Kettle corn Every.Day.Of.My.Life. Exception: when I have no access to a microwave. So that would be when on a ship or a deserted island.

Anyway, I tried the Kettle Corn smoothie in two ways. Here was the first: I used canned corn and the "juice". I LOVE canned corn- reminds me of my days in elementary school at the cafeteria-don't judge, I must have unresolved issues from childhood. I can eat it cold out of the can and drink the juice. Don't knock it til you try it!


Ingredients:
  • Water, Ice
  • Half a can of corn and the juice
  • Stevia or other sweetener
  • Xanthan Gum and Guar Gums to desired consistency
  • Scoop Protein powder
  • Dash salt
  • few drops Maple extract
  • few drops Butter flavoring

Thick, creamy


Almost too thick and creamy- I was a bit heavy handed with the xanthan gum :-/

THE VERDICT:

It was ok. There was something odd about it that I wasn't loving. Sad to say, it was a "sinker" (went down the sink).

Take TWO:

I subbed the canned corn for FRESHLY POPPED PLAIN air-popped or microwave popped (in a paper bag with the top folded over several times). I used 2 Tablespoons unpopped. Everything else remained the same. Here it is in the Vitamix:


How weird does this look??


THE VERDICT: OMG I squealed and shook with delight, literally! Unreal! Kinda like Kettle corn, kinda like cornbread in a blender. Hard to describe. One word of caution though: don't let it sit for a long time- it gets funky tasting. Sometimes my shakes are so filling I leave half some for later or the next day....don't do that with this mix! Blend & drink and you'll be glad you did.



The Kettle Corn Smoothie is born- thanks to the genius of Protein Girl, Allie!

I wanted to thank two sweet gals for sending me 'care packages' (sorry, no photos as the camera is all packed up)...Bekah of Beekeats sent me a wonderful package of tasty homemade granola, cumin maple spiced almonds (!!Yes!!) and pumpkin chococookies which reminded me of pumpkiny soft Maple oaties! Yummers.

Also, Protein girl sent me a very cool package of random foodie items that we had been chatting about over the last few months- a very thoughtful smattering of all sorts of fun things that I can't wait to try. Also included were SPRINKLES that she had hoped would make it onto the Kettle Corn Smoothie, but that will have to be for next time I make it! :-)

Q: Do you like corn in any form? Popped? On-the-cob? Bread? Soup?

22 comments:

Susan said...

Ohmy Deb. Once again, you have blown my mind with one of your smoothie concoctions. I love that picture of it in the popcorn bag!! I heart popcorn too, mostly because I can eat a whack of it for few calories, so it feels like I get more bang for my buck. Plus, it IS a whole grain ;) I can also eat cold corn out of the can. But corn chowder is probably my favourite way to have it :)

Allie (Protein Girl) said...

Ah, cold corn from the can. It's like canned childhood!

It might sound corny (sorry), but you are FABULOUS! The perfect post-workout shake!

fashionablyfit said...

That sounds so delicious! I love kettle corn, but I don't have all of those smoothie-making ingredients. I might have to go acquire them now though :)

Lara (Thinspired) said...

Once again, your creativity continues to astound! A kettle corn smoothie...seriously?! Awesome.

Allie, canned corn reminds me of being a kid, too! Why is that?!

homecookedem said...

Ohhhh, how creative!! :) My favorite way to eat corn is classic corn on the cob! I love it grilled the best!!

Rhoda said...

Oh, wow!

Maybe this could be a way I could eat popcorn again (forbidden in it's whole form), but smoothized, it could work for me.

Thanks. What a fabulous, creative stroke of genius.

tam said...

Oooooo that second smoothie sounds yummy! You have inspired me to try this protein shake way of life just waiting for my protein powder to turn up, can't wait! x x

Bekah said...

Mmm I do love my some air popped pop corn! *Voluminous food at its peek*

They both looks delish. Sad the first was a sinker. Made me laugh.

Thanks for the shout out Deb, and again, you're so welcome! Happy Sunday my dear. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) said...

# few drops Maple extract
# few drops Butter flavoring...

Both of those products actually could have their place in the kitch. I have never used either but I can see where they would be useful. I need to go label read the butter flavoring and see what exactly is in it. There are sooo many Molly McDash ? type fake butter this or that, both in the spices aisle, the sugar aisle and the refrigerated case. It's kinda nuts!

And as for the popcorn IN the Vita. yes, that is odd my dear but i bet it was really good. Not a sitter though, as in dont sit it out and come back to it...i can see that!

andygoose said...

Hoo boy...this post is making me question my loyalty to you...

:-P

Carbzilla said...

SHUT. UP. I cannot believe you put popcorn in the Vita! You are a brave brave woman. Good for you.

I love Mexicorn from growing up. I love it on the cob. I pretty much love it (um, tortilla chips? Hello?), but it's a trigger food for me so I have to be careful.

That smoothie is genius.

Charlotte said...

Wow - popcorn is one of my fave foods ever but I never would have thought to put it in a smoothie! I guess that's why they call you smoothie girl!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

Everyone- so funny that I'm not the only one who likes canned corn- high fives for childhood-in-a-can!

Carbzilla- Mexicorn?? What's that? Sounds like I'd love it.

Andy- c'mon man, where's the love?

Averie. I use the don't ask don't tell principle with my frankenfoods. read no labels, see no evil ;-)

And Susan, Beeks, et al...yes on the volume of popcorn. Sometimes I'll look at a cookie. A.single.cookie. Gone in 20 seconds. 100 cals. Or a huge fluffy bowl of popcorn that will take me 15 minutes to eat. It's a no-brainer, and the reason I eat it every day :-)

VeggieGirl said...

I love popcorn :)

chrystad72 said...

What a cool and interesting idea! Id love to try this one out! I absolutely love kettle corn. It is so good. I love anything with a sweet and salty combo!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Brilliant. Cracking up at the popcorn sitting in the Vita-Mix. Never would have thought to do it Deb, but I think it sounds delicious, and I love the yellow color. So pretty.

Love corn myself - raw, from the cob, poppped, but my favorite form of corn would definitely be my beloved tortilla chip. :)

Janetha said...

is it just me being really tired or have you gotten funnier? i should probably save all your posts for wednesday morning coffee drinking. this is fantastic.

"sinker" love the term. almost too thick? I HAVE TO GET THAT THICKENING STUFF.

dude, i LOVED school lunch. loved it.

the fact that you put the finished result in the popcorn bag for the photo? haha. love it.

super creative smoothie deb!

Lele said...

I think that is the coolest thing I have ever beheld.

Jenn said...

This is crazy...popcorn in a smoothie! You really are the smoothie queen...so creative. I wonder if my 9 year old son would like it? He pretty much hates anything with protein (I think to spite me) but he LOVES kettle corn.

Missy said...

So I get a weird hankering for a corn smoothie and decided to google it to see if there was any precedent and low and behold!

I am glad I am not alone.
I'm certainly gonna try this now though -- I don't think I'd ever have come up with the popcorn idea.

McIntosh said...

NO doubt...a must try! I've used that imitation butter flavoring on popcorn (diluted with some water and spritzed on) Hoping the smoothis is spoonable too (:

Rachel said...

I just made this for lunch today. With a little salt, it taste very similar to the maple butter blondie dessert as Applebee's. Fabulous!

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Copyright 2009 SmoothieGirlEatsToo All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes