RSS

Pimp your Sweet Potato Pancakes

As most people know, I am a huge fan of volume and poofing things up (why else would I love smoothies?) This trick makes me feel like I'm getting more sustenance for my caloric buck. I like to pimp anything I can get my hands on with extra protein and I'm a huge fan of whipping up egg whites and incorporating them into just about anything.

Oat bran is one pimped-out breakfast item with which I dabbled. I believe that Allie and Beeks gave it a try and also gave it the thumbs up.

I saw all the Pancake Power over at Heab's and elsewhere, and I'll admit that I had a touch of pancake envy. So when I got home from my trip to the Arctic Circle, I felt that it was time for me to give a stack of pancakes some fluffy egg-white love.

Thankfully, I learned from the Pancake Princess that Coconut flour really lightens things up- thanks Heabs for trouble-shooting that one for me. I like using saw dust- oops I mean Wheat Bran, just for fiber and as a filler. Protein powder for (duh) protein, and pasteurized egg whites for volume (best not to use raw as all of it might not cook thoroughly). So with that, check this out...

The stats are stellar ... For the WHOLE recipe...9 large pancakes!

400 cals
16g of FIBER
48g of carbohydrates
45g of protein
5g of fat


Ingredients:

  • Liquid egg whites- 3/4 cup
  • Scoop Vanilla Protein powder
  • 2 Tablespoons Coconut flour
  • 1/4 c Wheat Bran
  • One cooked/mashed sweet potato (3 oz cooked in this case)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • Sweetener of your choice- optional. I used a sprinkle of stevia powder
  • Cinnamon or other spices to taste

Method:
  • Whip those eggs to stiff peaks (TWSS)

The pre-pimped egg whites


Whip it good


This took all of perhaps a minute and a half. Seriously worth the effort for this humungous fluffyness

Grab another bowl and mix everything else together with a fork:

You can keep some of the lumps if you want


Pour the sweet potato mixture into the egg whites



Plop! Why must I make sound effects on a blog?



Gently fold the mixtures together until combined- you want to keep the air that you whipped into the whites.



Fold, Fold, Fold



Stir, stir, stir



Preheat a sprayed skillet




I used 1/3 cup scoops for each pancake- you'll need to scoop it out with a rubber spatula as the mixture is very thick.



I like to cover them so that they can start to "cook" from both sides simultaneously


These bad boys are FAT FAT FAT!


Whoops, one is dangerously close to the edge. Don't jump! It's not worth it!




These are about the thickness of an iPhone.



If these hadn't waited 10 minutes for me to answer the phone, they would have been even fatter!! Yes, they do deflate if left to sit.


A sprinkle of powdered sugar...enjoy!

Of course you can top it with about a zillion things: Pecans (nom nom), syrup (obvi), Greek yogurt as "frosting", any nut butters- pecan butter would be dy-no-mite (name the star and the show...and NO Googling!!).

Q: Is there a food item that you'd like to see pimped out with flufflylicious egg-whites? I have my mixer at the ready and will toil in the kitchen for my loyal readers.

27 comments:

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Oh my gosh! Those look sooo good. I just might try them for breakfast this morning. I had a dream I put salsa in pancakes last night. Weird to wake up and see your post. Maybe it's a sign :)

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Wheat bran in the cakes. Brills Deb! Please come over to my in-laws and make us all breakfast. :)

Never knew to cover pancakes. I learn so many things for you. You should seriously do a Deb 101 blog series with all your little tips and tricks!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

They sound heavenly, Deb! :)

Susan said...

*Susan can not comment today. She has swooned in reaction to the plethora of fluffy pancakes. Will return tomorrow.*

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) said...

The pcakes look awesomely fluffy. Amazing what eggs and wheat gluten will do. Sigh. for me...
BUT what's even more impresssive is that you can rattle off the stats of the whole batch. How can you do that? Alison of Mama's Weeds can do the same thing and Im always like, huh??!! Enjoy your time away from home! xoxo

Hayley said...

400 calories for NINE pancakes?!? Sign me up!! Those look fantastic...I'm with you on pumping up the volume of food! :) Way to go Deb!

Merry Christmas to you and your family, by the way. I am not keeping up with blogs as much as I'd like but I don't want to lose touch!

Allie (Protein Girl) said...

Beautiful sweet potato fluffiness! Dy-no-mite! Circa 1980's sitcom baby! Fat Albert? But alas, I must Google it to verify.

My Hanukah Egg White Wish List:

Can you please perfect the sugar free meringue cookie? :) I would like them dipped in dark/low sugar chocolate and rolled in calorie free chopped nuts.

How about a low calorie perfect egg white souffle or mini breakfast quiches?

And peace on earth.

Graze With Me said...

YUM, these look fantastic. Love the sound effects too. I've always marvelled at how voluminous egg whites can get. Glad to know it works with the kind from a box as well!

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) said...

I would have never thought to add sweet potato to pancakes - great idea! Egg whites are a magical food :)

Bette said...

Puffy is good! These look fantastic.

The pasteurized egg white makes it safe even if they aren't fully cooked. Even better than the liquid stuff in the carton is the real egg that has been pasteurized in the shell. I like to add them to smoothies.

homecookedem said...

I love pimpin stuff up like that!! Those look so amazing and I would probably eating the whole recipe so it's a good thing the stats are so incredible!! :) After you finish breakfast at Heather's in-laws, you can fly to my in-laws house in Georgia and make them for us, k? See ya Christmas morn! ;)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather said...

Love the sweet potato cakes! What about trying some zucchini pimped out cakes?

Carbzilla said...

What's Happenin'?

You are a pancake goddess in the long lineage of blogging pancake goddesses.

I think my pancake disaster post pops up tomorrow but maybe I'll give your recipe and method a try (I love that you put the lid on - genius!).

I live for my weekend breakfasts!

Rhoda said...

You continue to astound, amaze and delight.

Sweet potato pancakes. . . all invented created by your precious self.

They look fantasmagoric. And what a calorie/carb bargain.

Great holiday breakfast.

Happy New Year with those.

tam said...

Those are some tasty looking pancakes! x

Mallory said...

i do believe i need to make these delicious pimped cakes VERY soon - however, in my little rural Wisconsin town it's hard to come by flaxseed, let alone coconut flour... do you think i could sub an equal amount of whole wheat pastry flour?

Charlotte said...

I am having serious stove envy now! The gas burners... the tiled backspalsh... the delicious pancakes! Can I move in with you? Yeah I come with a posse of obnoxious little people but they do love grapefruit!

Mimi said...

INSTANT LOVE!

Hey, if you don't have an electric mixer, can you beat pasturized egg whites into stiff peaks with a spoon and elbow grease?

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

kristen- Cue Twilight zone music...

Averie-How do I rattle off the stats? I just count each category up. If counting calories did ANYTHING for me (aside from make me bonkers), it TOTALLY improved my math skills. :-?

Allie- Not Fat albert. Someone very skinny. Same decade I think. Souffles=I might leave that up to the genius that is protein girl. I tried baking my concoctions and they fell down. Perhaps some creme of tartar??

Bette- pasteurized egg IN THE SHELL?? Where have you been all my life?

Heather at GHWH- GREAT idea to pimp zuccchini cakes-I'll get on it next week some time!! :-)

Mallory- Good Q but somehow I don't think that whole wheat pastry flour is as light as coconut flour, but you can order CF at Bob's Red mill online.

Charlotte- there is a spare room with your name on it, with a dresser with at least 5 drawers in which the kiddies can sleep. Sound good?

Mimi- I WISH elbow grease could whip up stiff peaks but alas I doubt it. Invest. You can buy a cheapo handheld for about $20. I found one for $17 and one for $26 at Amazon.

Christine said...

My sister and I made these this morning for breakfast. They were amazing and they didn't leave us feeling overly full. Thank you for the recipe!

Erin of Care to Eat said...

Ooh girl! These look so pillowy and delicious! I always fail at whipping egg whites and this makes me want to try it again! I hope you ate the whole recipe :)

erintakescontrol said...

Yum! Never thought to cover the pan while they are cooking...I'm too busy getting my toppings ready!

Bekah said...

these pictures are out of this world! Such a great idea with the sweet potato too. Yum.

I cannot think of any food right now. I think you've done it all Deb! But seriously, I'm only trying to think of breakfast foods, and my mind is drawing a blank. drrrr. this is what leaving my google reader by itself for 2+ days does to me! no motivation.

so if anything, i'm just saying hi in this comment. :) can't wait til sunday!

brittany said...

Your pancakes inspired me to try using only oat bran (no flour at all) in a batch of pancakes. We used an egg, oat bran, bananas, vanilla, cinnamon and baking powder - and to my amazement they turned out fluffy and wonderful! Thanks for the inspiration!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

Mimi- another thought how to whip up eggs without an electric mixer- how about with a magic bullet or the like? Also those milk frothers (Ikea $3 or so)- wonder if they would work?

Brittny, Christine- glad you were inspired! :-)

Erin- yup ate them all :-)

marla (Family Fresh Cooking) said...

Okay, U have a new fan. Your blog is great!! These pancakes look awesome. Congrats on keeping fit and staying healthy. You look great!!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I don't make pancakes very often (in fact, I haven't made any in ages as when we have pancakes, the teenager makes them. And his version is not exactly healthy...). I'm bookmarking this recipe! Love the fluffiness. And yes, it's all about getting more substance for your calories... :)

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Copyright 2009 SmoothieGirlEatsToo All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes