RSS

Smoothie Saturday/Sunday- Holy Mole Smoothie

At Thanksgiving my SIL, Arizbe (who hails from Mexico) was chatting with me over a shot of tequila. What? Every family doesn't do tequila shots on Thanksgiving? Anyway, I informed her that she's really going to like this weekend's Smoothie recipe. To which she replied, "Why, does it have tequila in it?" Hee,, such a card! No, sadly there is no booze involved, but she will like anyway. Read on...



I remember the first time I tasted 'mole' sauce (pronounced MOLE + ay). It was in East Los Angeles where I was working at a community clinic. Someone had brought in one of the most amazing dishes I had yet to taste in my life. It was chicken cooked in a rich, dark sauce and I was told that it had some of the most remarkable and fabulous ingredients: peanut butter, chocolate and coffee!

There are about a zillion types of mole sauces as you can see by clicking here to read about it on Wikepedia. The women in the clinic told me that to make an authentic mole sauce from scratch, you have to stand and slave over a hot stove all day, stirring and stirring. Or you can take a short cut and head over to the market and buy Rogelio Bueno's version (which is what I had that day). Not a calorie-bargain you can imagine, but soo good. Interestingly enough, Wikepedia did not list any of the sauces with coffee, but this girl at the clinic thought it would be good, and boy was it ever!

Being SmoothieGirl, you know that I eventually would find a way to get all this stuff into a blender (sans chicken of course). Here's the line-up:



Notice Samantha's new toy from Auntie Heabie
  • 2-3 cups water
  • 1-2 cups ice
  • Chocolate Protein powder 1 scoop
  • 1/2 to 1 T Peanut butter
  • Peanut butter flavored FrankenSyrup if desired (Sugar free- like Torani or DaVinci) (or if you don't want a chemical festival, use a splash of almond extract)
  • 1 T Dark cocoa powder
  • Dash stevia
  • Xanthan and Guar gums to desired thickness
  • Sprinkle chipotle powder (THE STAR INGREDIENT!)
  • Instant Coffee 2 tsp

That's one Frothy Fiesta!




The chipotle was just too much for Sam's toy.

This is such a delicious if odd combination of flavors. The variations are ENDLESS: you can use any nut, seed or spice. But in my opinion, all is bueno if there's chocolate & peanut butter involved!

Q: Have you ever eaten something with a mole sauce? What is your fave Mexican dish?



20 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving! :)

Allie (Protein Girl) said...

I love mole almost as much as sushi. If I could have hamachi or broiled eel with mole sauce my taste buds might be forever changed.

This is kind of like my Mexican Dragon - but the peanut butter sounds essential for that Mole Lovin'. I've never tried PB syrup. Is it worth it? I'm gonna make this and Heab's chipotle almond butter this week!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) said...

Ummm....where have you been all my life?

Just made a very mediocre but acceptable microwave protein cookie. It worked in a pinch.

Next up...Hole Mole Smoothie!

homecookedem said...

Haha! I love it that you do tequila shots on Thanksgiving, that is awesome!! :)

I had never had mole sauce until about 2 years ago when my mom ordered chicken with mole sauce when we were out at a mexican place. It was so delicious!! I haven't had it since, mostly b/c I kinda forgot about it, so I'm glad you reminded me!

My favorite thing to order at a mexican place is a spinach quesadilla with a side of black refried beans. AND, a margarita!! And those darn good chips and salsa, sigh... Haven't had it in way too long!!

katie said...

I love spicy chocolate - ummmh!

http://katiechangesforkatie.blogspot.com/

Rhoda said...

The mole smoothie is too fantastic looking for words.

Why couldn't you also use it as a sauce over chicken, et al?

My fave is chile rellenos. But almost any Mexican food is hard to turn down.

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Ha ha - so glad Sam's toy made the picture, and I'll take the rest of the mole smoothie if he couldn't finish it all. Sounds amazing. In fact, it was the inspiration behind my breakfast this morning.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

Allie- Torani Syrup sugarfree PB, will be consumed by me even if I become the most healthy, nonFranken eater in the world. yes it is worth it. Ask heabs.

Joanna & Katie- welcome new commenters!

Susan said...

Ohemgee. I really want chicken covered in coffee, chocolate and peanut butter now. I didn't know that's what made up mole sauce!! Do my mocha oats with almond butter on top count? :P

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) said...

Ok so I am just getting thru the ole googlereader and wanted to thank you for all your great comments the past few hours!!!!
Irony of a raw vegan's le creueset turkey receipe. LOL
75 vinyasas and wouldnt be able to comb hair for a week. LOL
You had me rolling in my chair!!!!

Thank you for being you, Deb! I am so glad the big Guestie is gonna work out. And thanks for understanding a couple tweaks can make all the diff. :)

As for your smoothies...I am constantly amazed at the flavor combos and awesome creations you come up with. You use ingredients too that I've never heard of, i.e. FrankenSyrup.

And also instant coffee in the recipe. Even though I know you blend it, is there any grit/coffee grounds? I never work with inst coffee but I know sometimes recipes call for it and am always baffled how that would work?

Happy Sat Nite Deb!
xoox

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

Averie! Sorry, I am calling any of those syrups (daVinci, Torani) etc FRANKEN syrups b/c they are just chemicals. You wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. You're too good, and I'm really baaadd!

Also the instant coffee dissolves but if you're nervous you can always put a teaspoon of hot water just so they dissolve. I don't use used coffee grounds.

Paige (Running Around Normal) said...

I'll bet that's even better than a shot of tequila! mahaha. Love that cup, too!

Gena said...

Mole smoothie? Holy yum :)

Michal said...

That is one crazy looking smoothie! I cant believe that ive never tried a mole sauce. Plus ive been pronouncing it wrong, ah well you learn something every day haha :)

Erika said...

I have made mole once and it is so good. I never would have thought to make it into a smoothie! You are so creative! And I love the decorations on the mug!!!

Bekah said...

I LOVE chicken mole. There's a restaurant in Tucson that changes their menu daily, three Spanish sisters own the place, but there's always some version of a chicken mole. And I always get it.

Your smoothie interpretation looks pretty darn tasty though. Why should I be surprised?! You could even do peanuts in the smoothie for a little crunch!

RunToTheFinish said...

I have never tried mole sauce, but now I am very curious!

sounds like a wonderful smoothie!

Janetha said...

hahahaha i love the way the smoothie is dressed up. i am cracking up.

SO my mom's FAVORITE thing ever is this mole from a place in SLC called the red iguana. it is SO dang good.. so i know she would dig this smoothie! i should make it for her!

and to answer your Q YES i looove mole. so much. my friend tried it once while we were out for marshall's bday and she spit it out on the spot. but then again, she is the one who hates pumpkin so i could kind of understand.

mexican is my favorite cuisine so i am not picky when it comes to which specific entree it is.. i do love a nice burrito though :)

hope your monday treats you well!

oh, my temp crown fell off tonight. i was like where is deb when i need her?!?

xoxo

Rhonda said...

I'm way after the fact in reading this. Just got my super blender and and getting into smoothies! What a discovery! Question about this smoothie--no liquid? Or should I just assume that you add water and/or ice--if so how much? I know, I know--I'm too new to be into experimenting and am still stuck on exact amounts...I'll get there! Thanks!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

Rhonda- holy freakin mole- I can't believe I didn't have water and ice in the original recipe that's now about 1.5 years old! I've gone in and corrected it. So sorry and thanks for pointing it out to me!

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Copyright 2009 SmoothieGirlEatsToo All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes