(Note to edit: I scheduled this to be posted at 3am on 10/3/09 but apparently Blogger just felt like posting it on 10/2/09...ornery little Blogger!)
The way I see it, there are three styles of smoothie drinkers:
· I want my milk or juice and fruit. Don’t mess with simplicity.
· If I’m feeling really frisky I may allow some peanut butter.
· Sometimes I might put a tablespoon of yogurt in there and perhaps some protein powder, but THAT’S it!
· Hmm, a veggie snuck into my shake - I can live with that.
· You want to doll it up with a little oatgurt or kefir? Well why the heck not?
· An herb here, an extract there – sure- life’s too short.
· There’s more nut butters to try than just PB, ya know!
The FrankenSmoothie Lover:
· I LOVE Hungry-Girl- I make all of her recipes!
· Torani Syrups, Splenda, Sugar-free/fat-free pudding Jello powder, Crystal Light=the 4 food groups…YESSss!
The Balls-to-the-Wall Risk-Taker:
· Eye of Newt and frog’s legs? Bring it on!
· Dinner in a blender? It’s so practical!
· I can drink a smoothie of any color. I’m not intimidated by vomit - green.
Think about what sort of Smoothitarian you are. I will admit to you that I am somewhere between The Experimentalist and a FrankenSmoothietista. I keep the calories roughly at 300 cals, and try to make sure there's protein, fat and complex carbs in the mix.
You might want to refer back to the Smoothie 101a post for more information.
The Elvis Pelvis:
- Water, Ice, Xanthan & Guar Gums, Stevia (these go into every.single.shake.I.make)
- Frozen Banana (half to one whole)
- Almond Extract
- T. Peanut butter
- Scoop Protein Powder
- 2-3 T. Oats, plus few more for sprinkling on top
Smoothie Girl's Sweet Potato Pie:
- Water, ice, XG, GG, Stevia
- walnut extract, Maple extract (or Mapeline) (or the real deal maple syrup!)
- Cooked, cubed, FROZEN sweet potato (half of a medium)
- Scoop protein powder
- Cinnamon (if you have a V-mix use a HUNK of real Cinnamon bark- TRUST ME!!!!)
- 1/2 oz Pecans to mix in at the very end so that it's chunky-licious (reserve a bit for garnish...must look pretty!)
The 'Peace in the Middle East' Smoothie: aka 'drink your Halva'
- 2 T. Tahini (yes, tahini, and I froze it the night before in a cup)
- 1/2 small container (~3 oz ) Greek yogurt (didn't freeze this, but couldda)
- T. Powdered Egg white
- Vanilla & Maple extracts
- Pistactios- reserve some for garnish, and the rest PUT IN AT THE VERY END so as to keep a lot of gorgeous pistacio chunkage.
OK so I NEVER in a zillion years would have thought of making a smoothie with TAHINI, but HEAB was on a tahini kick this week and suggested that I come up with a tahini smoothie. I'm not one to shy away from a friendly challenge, so I put on my thinking cap. Turns out I was heading to my local Persian market to buy roasted hazelnuts (aka little balls of crack) and I got inspired by the Halva sold there.
So I followed suit and took these YUMMY Licorice Pastels that my Dad loves from Cost Plus World Market: