Referred to as Hubs or Hubby, my real name is Derek, although Deb & I call each other Luvie….a common British term of endearment. I was born & bred just west of London, England, moving to California in my late 20’s.
Not at all good at keeping fit or eating well. To be honest, terrible, although I’ve seen a lot of what works and doesn’t work through all that Deb has learned over the years.
I love my work, it leaves me with few moments to think about my health. Deb tells me it’s all about setting my priorities, and I know she’s right having seen her gain 70lbs and loose 100lbs while figuring out for herself how to keep it off.
Thankfully we now have a Wii fit, that’s been fun as I can squeeze something in late at night (Ooh errr, naughty!).
I’m game for most fitness things, hiking, biking but I honestly have more good intentions than real action in this department. I’m a meat & 2 veg guy, but nearly always really enjoy Debs inventions. Late at night, I often supplement with some British sweets (candies) which I bring back from my regular UK trips, I’m sure this helps keep my British teeth in “good shape”.
3 major pieces of advice I’ve been given?:
1. Give 51% to yourself, so you are fit, ready and able to unconditionally give the remaining 49% to others
2. My Grandmother was such a positive thinker who encouraged me to follow
which I still read every morning while 'undertaking my morning constitution' (it hangs next to the toilet), setting my goals for the day and help to keep things in perspective.
3. Trust your instincts, don’t put off the inevitable and follow your gut every time.
Now for my favorite recipe, English Sherry Trifle.
This is an original recipe from my Grandmother passed down from the late 1800's.
If you do decide to try this, using the right ingredients make a big difference:
- Birds Custard Powder – follow the directions on the packet
- Fruit – use whatever you like that will soak up the sherry – mixing fresh and low cal tinned is great - eg Banana’s and pears are amazing. I also mix in tinned peaches with fresh cut strawberries on top.
Buy Amontillado Sherry this one is as good as any.
Sherry trifle always tastes even better the following day – the sherry has absorbed into more nooks & crannies.
Here’s the recipe:
English Sherry Trifle Recipe (makes 8 servings)
1 packet of 8 trifle sponges (or Angel Cake similar)
1 cup Amontillado Sherry - adjust to your taste :-)
1 can of medium sized peach chunks or slices
1 can of pear slices
2 sliced Banana’s
½ packet Birds Custard Powder with sugar & milk prepared as directed
Topping: ½ pint whipping cream or cool whip
Decoration (Cherry or Strawberries or sugar sprinkles)
1. Break sponges into 1” cubes and place in trifle bowl
2. Moisten with sherry (the sponges), be careful not to completely soak them as the fruit adds more liquid
3. Put fruit & a little of the fruit juice into trifle bowl & mix very gently (ie keep the sponge intact)
4. Make 1 pint of Custard.
Tip to avoid lumpy custard - don't rush!!:
Keep stirring as custard comes to boil. It must come to boil, but then immediately transfer custard to cool container eg tall mug & then run container under cold tap, while continually stirring until custard is not too hot (ie warm to touch)
5. Pour custard over the fruit & sponge mixture, so there is a thin layer of custard on top (the rest drops into the mixture!)
6. Put bowl in refrigerator for at least 1 hour, preferably 3 hours.
7. Add topping cream / fruit decoration
8. Remove from fridge 1 hour before serving
9. Remind yourself to buy more Sherry!
Honestly, this one can be a calorie buster, although easy to modify to low cal using 1% skimmed milk, draining the syrup from any fruit cans and using fat free cool whip as a topping.
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think of it, practice makes perfect!