RSS

Love me my Sunflower butter

MMmmmmm!!

Good morning! Today is a lighter post than yesterday, which was a discussion on trying to be "normal". If you missed it, you can click here. Thanks to everyone for your insightful comments- I love to hear your input! As a slight tweak to this subject, I intend to do another post on "Balance" this week. Thanks to Hayley's genius comment that perhaps 'balance' is what I'm seeking, rather than being 'normal'. That is far more accurate. Also I want to address the fact that everyone is soooo different in what works for them with food and exercise. This has become infinitely clear in recent blogscussions. Stay tuned.

So before I run off for the day I had to share a recipe for the most delish smoothie! Very simple- just a twist on my usual PB&J smoothie, but one little substitution here or there can make such a difference. For new readers, here's my Smoothie 101 post. It's helpful for the Smoothie Newbie and for experienced smoothie-holics like myself who may want a few tips.



I have loved Sunflower butter ever since I got my grubby hands on Trader Joe's sunbutter ages ago. But I never had crunchy sunflower butter. My friend, Heather aka HEABs was kind enough to send me some of the crunchy stuff and I LOVE it! I know there are other fans out there like Averie (is there anything left in that jar the hubs bought last week? :-D) and Janetha.

For those of you who haven't used Sunflower butter, it is naturally very runny and sweet. It really imparts a strong flavor, unlike many more subtle nuts and seeds. In fact, the ONLY nut butters that I will mix INTO a smoothie (as opposed to as a topping) are Peanut and Sunflower. They are the only monsters who will really flavor the smoothie. If you haven't tried it, by all means run-don't walk-to your nearest health food store and give it a try. And if you don't like it, just send it to me :-D Kidding!

By the way, Averie mentioned that she likes a firmer nut butter. She said that she popped it in the freezer (genius). I also recommended the old paper-towel-in-the-jar trick...just empty enough of the butter to fit a few crumpled paper towels, and place upside down for a few days. This removes some of the oils and makes it firmer. I know that this works with peanut and almond butters but alas I haven't done this trick with sunflower butter. If you do it, let me know the outcome!



Look at that luscious OOOZE factor!

Here's the SB & J Smoothie-in-a-Bowl recipe:
  • 1.5 cups water (+ or - depending on how thick you want it)
  • Handful frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
  • Handful frozen rhubarb
  • 1 T sunflower butter (The original recipe calls for peanut butter)
  • 1/2-1 scoop protein powder
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/2 tsp guar gum
  • dash almond extract
  • dash hazelnut torani (not necessary, I'm just using mine up)
  • I forgot the stevia today and it was still DELISH! YAY!
  • I forgot the crystal light- yay less quĂ­micos in the cuerpo today! :-)
  • handful ice cubes





Here's the finished product- in a bowl, and with rainbow sprinkles and cacao nibs on top- of COURSE!!

Have a great day!!

Deb

13 comments:

Rhoda said...

It looks utterly fantastic.

Yum, num.

VeggieGirl said...

HOLY. YUM. Period :-D

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) said...

Thanks for the shout outs, Deb! You're awesome!

And your little smoothie creation, top shelf my dear. Wanna make me one? Lately I am finding the cocoa nibs that I have really bitter. I dont know, maybe it's just me.

Anyway, regarding the smooth vs. crunchy...normally in nut butters I do like smooth, thick n smooth to be exact, but crunch has it's place.

Question...flavor and thickness wise, do you find any appreciable difference between TJ's Sunflower Seed butter and the Sunbutter brand you have photo'ed? I realize there's the crunch factor, but I'm talking flavor & consistency...any thoughts?

Have a great hump day!

Thinspired said...

Haven't had the chance to try sunbutter yet, but it's on my (ever-growing) list of things to buy once I get back on US soil! Stuff like that is really tricky to find here, and when I do, it is triple the price of what I'd pay back in CA.

Just off to check out your Smoothie post!

N.D. said...

what a treat, I have to try this!

brandi said...

I have never tried sunflower seed butter, but I should! I have a sample pack in my house and I need to get it out already. it is NOT crunchy, though, and crunchy nut butters are my favorite :)

Janetha said...

holler to the sun butter! i still need to try it in my peach smoothie like you suggested but i usually make my smoothies at work and the sunbutta is at home! must. try. this. recipe. oh and i love to use sunbutter instead of tahini in hummus! mmmm.

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

You and your sprinkles. So cute.

So glad you're loving the crunchy stuff - one of CD's favorites. I like it too - so flavorful.

You know another nut butter that works great in smoothies? Artisana's raw coconut butter. The taste is really noticeable. So good!

I forgot to tell you my favorite line from Airplane in my last comment: "There's a sale at Penny's" I think that's it anyway. Used to crack me up when I was little.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

Averie- Cacao nibs are totally bitter! That's why I usually need a little something sweet to counteract that. Re. the SB, I notice no appreciable difference except the chunk factor.

Thinny- it's possible that you could make it in a food processor!?

Brandi- no need to reinvent the wheel- just throw some sunflower seeds into the creamy version and voila! Crunchy SB!

Janetha- SB hummus=pure genius!

Heabie- coconut butter in smoothies/?!?!?! MUST TRY THAT!
Great quote from Airplane- we have a few fans out there! :-D

Hayley said...

Thanks for putting my name and "genius" in the same sentence...that doesn't happen often! :) I want to also thank you again for your email about the chords and our cats. I REALLY appreciate that!!

Ok, after reading your blog and Averie's and seeing how much you both rave about Sunbutter I'm going to have to pick some up from TJ's while i'm over that way today. I much prefer chunky anything over creamy, but even if they don't have that I'm going to try it. I'm so curious to see what this tastes like!!

I look forward to your future post(s)! :)

Erika said...

I have never tried Sunbutter but it looks so good!

The Voracious Vegan said...

OH. WOW. That looks amazing and the cacao nibs just took it over the top!

Michelle @ A Shade of Gray said...

Hello there! Catching up on my blogs these last couple of days.

I love Sunbutter too!

And I have to say you look absolutely FANTASTIC in that pic of you hammering away at your kitchen!!!

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Copyright 2009 SmoothieGirlEatsToo All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes