RSS

Nutty for CABs

No, not Cabernet. Not taxis either. Read on if you're curious ...

A few months back, I got ahold of these babies at Tar-Jay:


Man, are they good- so chocolaty, but they are not covered in chocolate- just dusted with cocoa powder and Splenda (calories are inexplicably the same as plain almonds...hmmm, how does that happen?). Anyway, I did what any wild and crazy, fun-loving Vita-Mix owner would do- I made a home-cCocoa Almond Butter. And it was crack-licious. Really. I sent some to HEAB and I think that she said it lasted two days with the help of her hubby CD. While I love love love the taste of Splenda, I'm just not sure about what it's doing to my body in the long run. I knew I needed to Deb-ify this recipe and replace the splenda with stevia.

So last night I made the healthy version... it was yummilicous and almost as good as the Emerald original with Splenda. So my new invention, CAB stands for:

Cacao Almond Butter , AKA
Crack Almond Butter


Into the Vita-Mix goes:
  • Roasted and raw organic almonds (could use just roasted, but NOT just raw...too dry)
  • Organic cacao nibs- (they are a bit bitter, so I did need the stevia to balance it out)
  • Stevia, to taste
  • Sprinkle salt, if desired
  • (edit to add: I would add Dark Cocoa powder also- YUM)

THAT's IT!! SO easy! Tamp it down repeatedly and it comes out smoking hot and FABO!

By the way, you don't need a Vita-Mix to make CAB, you just need some cocoa powder or cacao powder (buy it at the health food store, or put nibs into the food processor, blender or clean coffee grinder). You could even carob powder (YUM!! my next experiment!). Either use your own elbow grease to stir or try it in the food processor.



Here are some CABs and a plain AB cooling. Aren't they cute? They look like they are on stage, taking a bow to their adoring fans! BRAVO! BRAVO! ENCORE!!

3 of these bad boys are going to go on a little journey- someone in Tennessee might want to keep their eyes on their mailbox. Better yet, just camp next to it.


Don't worry, cat hair is good for the digestion :-)

Do you kids make anything from scratch that you just don't want to buy commercially?

Deb

15 comments:

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) said...

Oooohhh that looks so good. You know how I said about a week ago on your comments that I wasn't a huge nut butter fan? Well after writing that, I've been eating more and more PB. I have never really loved AB as much as I do PB...but, you could make a believe outta me, girl!

Could you give me ballpark measurements/ratios? I literally have overheated a vitamix before and had to get a new one sent out...yeah, scary. Anyway, do you use like 1 c of almond to what like 1/8th cup cocoa nibs...just wild guesses here...

Any specifics would be so appreciated!!! Crack-alicious!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) said...

PB2 question....was reading HEABs blog and I remember when she wrote that post with the chocolate balls but didnt really pay attn to the PB2. Lately tho I've been groovin on PB, well the last half a week or so, and was wondering if you like the PB2 and ChocolatePB2 ? Should I order 2 jars? Or better yet, if you could pick one or two nut butters in the whole entire world, which 2 would you choose? I know you have a freakin pantry full :) I shouldnt worry about fat/calories but part of me does which is why the PB2 appeals. How much do you like it? The choco sounds really yum too of course!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

Averie- you need at about 2-3 cups of nuts because you need to get the tamper in there to mush the nuts down as it runs. I'd guess about 1/8 (= 2T) of cacao- perhaps more. Do the taste test and see when you get it nice and chocolatey.

If I could pick one or two nut butters in the whole world: Hmmm, I'd say PB (I do love Laura Scudders old fashioned but it's not organic :-( ) #2 would be sunflower butter because it's so sweet and rich and flavorful and unlike anything else out there.

PB2: Years of loving it. Never tried the chocolate one b/c I was going to make my own with cocoa or cacao powder. I eat PB2 when I feel I've had enough cals and fat for the day and I don't mind skimping on taste a little. Face it- less fat, less peanut-licious taste. Hope this helps!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) said...

Thanks for the nut butter makin advice. Do you soak them before hand? Or just dry n grind? I know what you mean about the tamper. I also purchased the smaller vitamix canister too. It's handy for stuff like this. There is no tamper, but i use a spatula and it works. It's easier to clean out if you dont want to make a boat-load of something and only make a boat load in order to get the proportions to work in the standard vitamix container. I may try a cup or 2 of nuts and see how things work. I just dont wanna waste nuts OR blow up my V.

Thx for the PB2 info...I'm gonna order it and see. After reading your post i read someone else's last nite (cant remember where) and there were talkin bout PB2. I will also check the laura scudders one. And which Sunflower butter do you like? I love sweet...so a sweet butter would be awesome. I know TJs has the sunbutter brand? Is that the one you use?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

Averie- happy to answer your Qs:

I don't soak any of the nuts. Seems roasted nuts come out waaayyyy creamier than raw.

Yes, TJs sunbutter is fab. If you want some crunch, just add your own chopped Sunflower seeds :-)

Janetha said...

your cat is a sweetie!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) said...

My hubs is picking me up the TJ's SB right now! Yay! I only have raw nuts...sigh. Creaminess is key so maybe 1/2 n 1/2 like you mentioned in your post. Thx for your nutmilk in ice cube trays you just left on my bloggie :)

Hayley said...

Wow...I am drooling as I type this.

Rhoda said...

Oh, Gawd. I just ate a huge lunch and can't believe I'm drooling reading about the NB's.

If it tastes anywhere near what it looks like and how you describe it, it would have to be fantastic.

Kitty thinks so too, obviously.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

Kitty may be cute, but she's a cheeky monkey- she got into the the fireplace today and her white socks are now black :-/

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

Deb,
All caught up. Loved your hubby's Over-Blogging comment. CD will appreciate that one.

Overtraining - been there, done that, but I never stop until I injure myself. Seriously, I do not heed the warning signs! Completely ignore them.

So excited about my nut butters!!!!!

Jamie Walker said...

Holy Crap, that looks good! I need a vitamix now!

Thinspired said...

This looks so, so good. I am so jealous that you have a Vitamix! Definitely my dream kitchen item. And I love Splenda too. I have given up the white stuff but I occasionally use the brown sugar blen in baking.

N.D. said...

YUm! I make my almond butter every few weeks, I tried it actually with the cocoa roast almonds but it was just ok. I think with cocoa it would be great actually! Does it come off steaming hot since the food processor is warm? I also now make hummus every week, yum!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) said...

N.D. Really? Cocoa AB was just ok? Heab, CD and I think it's crack in a jar :-D Love the cocoa roast almonds by themselves too of course!

Yes, it comes out hot b/c the vitamix's blades spin so fast that the friction creates heat- it actually can COOK food if it's in there for a few minutes- I make soup that way all the time :-)

Thanks for stopping by!

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Copyright 2009 SmoothieGirlEatsToo All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes